Claudia Adrienne Grandi, the legendary hiker once said – “If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden”. If you want to make your boring life happening, then there is no better option than a long time hiking. If you want to go for hiking without proper arrangements then the experience will be a bitter one. You have to arrange all the significant and needed things such as – dry food, a stick, goggles, fire kit, hiking boots etc. Moreover, you also have to know the importance of gaiters in an outing. Snow, water, mud, dirt are prone to sneak into the hiking boots. To prevent these items, use any branded gaiters for your next trip. Gaiters will provide full protection from top to bottom of your legs from these elements. Gaiters are not very much expensive but it is an important item for hikers. Now you need to choose the perfect gaiters for you to suit your style of outing. Here we have discussed all facts about gaiters and choose wisely what you need to pick up. Let’s check out:
- 1 How To Choose The Best Gaiters
- 2 Tips For Selecting The Right One
- 3 Some Popular Brands Of Gaiters
- 3.1 1. Outdoor Research Men’s Crocodile Gaiters
- 3.2 2. REI Co-op Activator Gaiters
- 3.3 3. Mountain Hardwear Unisex Scree Hiking Lightweight Gaiter
- 3.4 4. Unigear Leg Gaiters Waterproof Snow Boot Gaiters
- 3.5 5. Westpark Waterproof Walking Leg Gaiters, Oxford Fabric Boots
- 4 Pick The Best Gaiters
- 5 Conclusion
How To Choose The Best Gaiters
To choose the perfect one for you, follow the quick navigation at first then go to details about it:
- At first, make a plan before going for any outdoor trips. The place, weather condition of that place will determine the type of gaiters.
- Then go for the size of the gaiters – tall or short or medium, which one is suitable for you.
- Now come to quality of the product and the specifications like waterproof construction, the clothes quality, and durability, flexibility etc.
Select Gaiters By Your Activity
The right shoe and gaiters depend on your outing plan and weather condition of the place as well as the condition of the trail. Have a look at it:
- For Hiking: When you are going for hiking, then you should select the lightweight, water resistance and breathable pair. That will give you primary protection from pebbles, grits, and rain as well.
- For Backpacking: If you have planned for a backpacking then you have to go for more protective gaiters than the hiking pairs. Because there you may face rock abrasion, nasty rain condition.
- For Mountaineering: You have to buy heavy-duty protective pairs which contain insulation and proper ventilation with waterproof breathable construction for your comfort.
- For Snowsports: If anyone like snowsports then they should keep an eye to choose waterproof, breathable pairs. That will give you comfort and keep your feet dry and natural. You will not get hardcore durability quite often.
- For Ice climbing: Gaiters designed for ice climbing should be featured with waterproof fabric and hardcore durability.
- For Trail running: The gaiters should be lightweight and more compact. The main purpose is to keep moisture out of your skin while you trekking.
Gaiter Height Selection
Gaiters height is a crucial factor for your safety and security. When you are moving back from mountaineering or trekking then you need a taller gaiter. Short ones are important for trailing or hiking.
- Over-the-ankle: This type is for extreme conditions or for long day hiking. These gaiters are basically made for mountaineering or wet hiking where you have to keep an eye to keep debris or mud out of your shoe.
- Medium one: These are near about 8 to 12 inches in height. It is best for less hardcore climate conditions when you need to keep the debris out of your shoe. You can use these type in winter season as well as during summer.
- Knee: These type of gaiters are designed for a muddy area or short outing trips. These ones basically provide security up to 15 to 18 inches from your knee. When you are going through the deep snowy place or in the heavy rain then you need to pick up these ones.
Now come to the main point and value for the money part. Let’s go through it:
- Water resistance: Gaiters for long hiking and ice climbing are constructed with a waterproof, durable material to kick out the moisture from the boots. Also look for waterproof gaiters for wet or muddy conditions.
- Insect repellent: You will find many types of gaiters designed with insect repellent material such as nylon, polyester etc to keep your skin safe from mosquitoes, and many harmful insects.
- Abrasion-proof: When you are going for an outing then always look for abrasion-proof synthetic material on the lower part.
- Soft-shell fabric: This one is for your comfortability when you are hiking for a long day. Soft material construction and nylon combo will give you the perfect breathable and comfortable atmosphere as well as it will keep your skin dry and natural.
- Coated synthetic material: Basically gaiters are made from polyurethane-coated nylon. When you are planning for hiking in deserts or muddy areas then this one will help you properly.
- Entry system: You will have to look at this feature of the pair. Make sure that the entry system of your pair is perfect to put on and vice-versa.
- Collar Closures: Top of the gaiters are constructed with elasticized drawcords. Some popular brands include a fancy collar on the upper portion to enhance its beauty.
- Lace hooks: When you buy a gaiter then you should keep an eye on the condition of lace hooks and quality for security concern.
Tips For Selecting The Right One
If you do not choose the right pair for you then it will be an embarrassing and painful hiking trip. So, it is recommended that you need to select perfect gaiters to take the full adventure of the trip. We are providing some exceptional tips to buy a right pair. Let’s go through to the following points before taking any decision:
- Size: Most popular brands provide the fittable size of gaiters. You can take a trial before buying the product. Your main aim should choose the properly sealed gaiters.
- Adjustment: The gaiters, which you use, should have a proper adjustment with your fit and shoe, although there is an option of hook-and-loop system, to provide you the proper adjustment.
- Use the hooks: On the gaiters, there are two hooks in the lower portion. Use them properly at the time of hiking.
- Under your pants: Always wear the gaiter underneath the pants to create a proper shield. If you wear the gaiters over the pant then rain or mud can easily enter into your boots.
Some Popular Brands Of Gaiters
In this portion, we have provided some popular brand of gaiters with their features. Try to follow it before hiking or mountaineering.
1. Outdoor Research Men’s Crocodile Gaiters
If you have planned for mountaineering or hiking trips then this pair is amazing. On one side it is durable, waterproof and another hand it is also abrasion-resistant, windproof, which are suitable for your trips. But there is a low criticism on it – It is only for men. Synthetic nylon and polyester combo make it waterproof.
- Imported quality gaiters
- Waterproof construction, A great shock resistant
- Hardcore durability and breathable
- The lightweight and flexible combo makes it perfect
- Color; Blue/ Black
- Shape: Up to knee
- Effective wear and tear resistance
2. REI Co-op Activator Gaiters
REI products are very much trustworthy to their customers. They fit snug and tight and I never got any tiny pebbles in my shoes which is a lifesaver on those rocky switchbacks above the treeline. They do the job simply fine. The snow lock feature makes it more aggressive. Without wasting time let’s have a look at it:
- Made with a durable and stretchy soft-shell fabric for lightweight
- Great waterproof construction as well as breathable
- Keep your shin safe and warm
- Great adjustment with the hook-and-loop system.
- Best use: Backpacking, hiking, mountaineering
- Shape: Over-the-ankle
- Weight: 1.8 ounces
- Color: Grey/Black
3. Mountain Hardwear Unisex Scree Hiking Lightweight Gaiter
Wanna catch some selfie with your stylish gaiters? Then this one is perfect for you. Except for the beauty it also has proper durability, lightness, waterproof construction features. This one is suitable for hiking and trailing trips. Also, it is stretchable and comfortable. Now go for the specifications:
- Size: X/XL
- Color: Only Black
- Shape: Medium
- Weight: 1.7 ounces
- Water resistance construction with snow locking feature.
- Great arch support and fully breathable
- Good quality hook-and-loop system
- Material: Nylon + Fiber + Synthetic material
- Best use: Hiking, Snow climbing, Trailing
4. Unigear Leg Gaiters Waterproof Snow Boot Gaiters
This one is special for its Oxford fabric and polyester characteristics. Relatively lightweight and provide comfort and keep your skin dry and secure. Strong and hardcore durability makes it more usable. You can easily wear this multi-functional pair of gaiter for your next trip. Also, it provides a refund if you are not satisfied after using it.
- Material used: 600D Oxford fabric + 300D polyester
- Provide excellent wear and tear resistance
- Excellent waterproof and dustproof construction
- Size: Small, medium, large, extra large
- Color: Black / Blue / Green
- Shape: Over-the-ankle, Knee
- Best use: Ice climbing, Backpacking, Trailing
- Provide lifetime warranty and QC
5. Westpark Waterproof Walking Leg Gaiters, Oxford Fabric Boots
100% waterproof and dustproof make the gaiters suitable for backpacking, hiking, mountaineering etc. Also, it provides dual protection zipper. This will keep your whole leg warm as well as dry. This one keeps me safe on my last trip. On first sight, you will fall in love with it. Let’s take a look at its features:
- Fully covered to protect you from rocks, pebbles, dirt, mud etc
- Fully water resistant and lightweight as well as proper breathable
- Easy to put on or put off.
- Height: 15.75 inches in total
- Size: Free
- Weight: near about 1.6 to 1.8 ounces
- Color: Only black
- Girth: 50cm
- Material: 150D Oxford cloth
- Shape: Over-the-ankle, Knee
- Best use: Snowy area, muddy region, Any type of hiking.
Pick The Best Gaiters
After going through this article you will be able to choose the right pair for you. We gave the details about how to choose the perfect gaiters pair for an outing. We can not recommend you any brand. It is against our terms and conditions. You have to buy your gaiters on your own.
Before going to buy a pair of gaiters, keep our tips in your mind to choose the perfect pair for you. Consider these factors before buying the product – comfort, waterproof, flexibility, durability, adjustment etc. In a simple manner, you have to open your eyes and follow our tips to buy a perfect pair. There is not much difference between the branded gaiters. So, I can only provide you the details about gaiters and you have to choose your gaiter pair wisely and enjoy hiking on your own. When you pick the right pair they will keep the snow, mud, debris out of the shoe and other clothings. As a result, they keep your skin and feet dry, warm and healthy. You will be able to come back with a pleasing experience.